Friday, January 8, 2010

Help...I'm losing VERBS left and right!

For those of you who are linguists out there, please be gracious as you read this entry. I had no idea this would happen.

What would happen, you ask?

I'm losing my verbs left and right, and IT'S really NOT very FUNNY at all! I pretty much assumed that I would study French, learn the definition of words and begin speaking French. Ha! Not true! No one told me the dirty secret. In other languages, there are tons of "correct ways" of saying things.

Let me illustrate what I mean...

1. I now must say that I "take" tea. I cannot say that I "have" tea.
2. I now must say I "accompany" my kids to school. I cannot say that I "take" my kids to school.
3. I "re-enter" my house after school. I do not "go home" anymore.
4. I "search" for my kids at school. I do not "pick up" my kids from school.
5. If I say I "am" hot, it's assumed I have a temperature. If I'm hot I now have to say I "have" hot.
6. I "take" pounds if I am getting fat. I am not "gaining weight" anymore.
7. I am "amused" when I am excited. I may not say I am "excited" because it has...umm, a different connotation.
8. I now "demand" information of someone, not "ask". And just to make things fun, I "pose"a question, not "demand" a question.
9. I now "regard" the television, but I am not allowed to say I "regard" a movie at a cinema...that would be the verb "to see".
10. I now am going to "rendre-visite" my friend, but I am not allowed to "visit" my friend. I am only allowed to "visit" attractions.
11. I now "do the shopping". I am not allowed to "go shopping", but I can still say that I am "going to a store".
12. I now "take" the metro, but I also now sometimes "put" myself on the metro.
13. I now "call myself" Jill, but I do no say "my name is Jill."
14. I now "descend" the stairs, not "go down" stairs. I also now "descend" when I go south on vacation.
15. I no longer "get dressed, or fix my hair, or get ready, or put my make-up on". Now I "dress myself, prepare the hair of myself, ready myself, make-up myself."
16. I have now "passed" a good vacation, but I have not "had" a good vacation. In addition, I now "pass" time, but not "spend" it...at all.

You get the idea?

I am mourning my verbs and the joy of using them the way that I am used to! I had no idea that language learning would entail retraining myself to choose different verbs to explain what I want to say.

Ah...live and learn, huh. :-)

1 comment:

Dana said...

Oh funny :) Good list!