I can't believe it.
I made it!
My year of full-time language studies is done. Here's what's on my mind right now at this momentous place in my life:
1 - Wow! I have learned so much! I am continually amazed by the situations I encounter in life now where I can understand what is happening and a lot of what is being said! It's just fabulous!
2 - Wow! I have so much more to learn! While I can see tremendous progress, I realize how much more I need to learn. It's a bit scary, to be honest. Learning another language is not small project. To become fluent in French is an entirely different matter than just "learning" French. I have lots of work ahead of me to communicate well in this language.
3 - I am frustrated by the disconnect between my mind and my mouth. In my mind, I hear perfect French (for the most part). When I try to speak, I cannot make my mouth produce the sounds that I hear in my head. It's very frustrating! Sometimes I try to say a word 4 times before I can make it sound anything close to what I hear in my head! UGH!
4 - I realize that I have learned "book French" for the last 7 months. Can you imagine how people speak in English if they have only learned "book English"? It is not at all the way that people speak in the real world. My job this summer is to learn "street French" or as they say here, "the language current". My dream is to talk with people who are hanging out in the parks. I plan to carry a small notebook with me everywhere we go, and write down the phrases I hear and the responses that I am supposed to give. It is so frustrating to not know how to handle this everyday kind of speaking well. I am excited to have the time to work on learning it now.
5 - As much as I hate studying grammar, I know that I have not learned enough of the French grammar rules. I am told by Mark, that there is lots more to learn. But, before I try to tackle more knowledge, I know that I have to get what I know "down pat" first. I am going to make Mark, Lena and Ryan spend an hour a day with me through the month of July to help me get basic verbs (in past, present and future) to become "second nature" for me. I just have to do it!
If you want to pray for me, here's a concise list of prayer requests:
1 - That I would learn to "think in French". That, with daily practice of some very basic verbs over and over again this summer, that my mind would finally convert well into a French-thinking mind (rather than thinking in English and then trying to translate my English thoughts into French - that doesn't work well at all!)!
2 - That I would be able to learn "everyday" French - the chit-chat on the street kind-of French.
3 - Pray that God would unlock my mouth and that French would just flow (without tons and tons of effort) from it soon.
4 - That God would lead me to a very patient French woman who would be willing to work with me as I learn to become fluent in this language. I am praying that I might find a fellow Mom in the parks this summer that would, for some really crazy reason, want to help me. I really need a friend who would be willing to explain French culture, French expressions, and correct my many mistakes. Who in the world would want that job? I don't know, but I know my great God can provide such an angel in my life. Pray that He would lead me to such a person.
For now, though I am going to revel in the joy of being done with this year. It's been a crazy year, but a good one. I am so glad to be done! What joy!!!!!!
1 comment:
I will be praying for you Jill (especially for the friend request). I am so impressed with your desire to learn and not give up on this daunting challenge. You can do it; you ARE doing it!
We watched a pro bike race in Stillwater today- couldn't help but think of our times going to see the Tour. Have to admit we're a bit jealous that you get to be in the midst of that soon! That will be a good conversation topic for you I think. :)
Carrie Andersson
Post a Comment