It's not fun to say, but I've had some major disappointments of late. It stinks. It might take me a while to accept each one, but I am just absolutely amazed by something that is happening in the midst of my disappointment. That something is my loving Heavenly Father and His Word.
It's not the first time that this has happened, but it is still just an incredible experience when God's Word speaks so clearly, and so directly to me that I know I am hearing God's voice speaking to me in a very personal way.
And, it's not the first time that this has happened, but it is just amazing when a friend says something (without even knowing it) that connects directly to my trial in such a way that I can tell it's God using my friend to speak truth to me.
Both of these things have happened to me in the last week. Praise the Lord! He is alive and at work in my life! And, I am so thankful for His Word.
Here are the words that He has spoken, which are truth:
"Listen, O heavens, and hear, O earth:
For the Lord speaks, sons I have reared and brought up,
But they have revolted against Me.
An ox knows its owner and a donkey its master's manger,
But Isreal does not know,
My people do not understand.
Alas, sinful nation,
People weighed down with iniquity,
Offspring of evildoers,
Sons who act corruptly!
They have abandoned the Lord,
They have despised the Holy One of Israel,
They have turned away from Him."
(Isaiah 1:2-4)
But in the end...
"Therefore the Lord God of hosts,
The Mighty One of Israel declares,
Ah, I will be relieved of My adversaries
And avenge Myself on My foes.
I will turn My hand against you
And will smelt away your dross as with lyre
And will remove all your alloy.
Then I will restore your judges as at the first,
And your counselors as at the beginning:
After that you will be called the city of the righteous,
A faithful city. Zion will be redeemed with justice
And her repentant one with righteousness."
(Isaiah 1:24-27)
My God, the Lord God of hosts and the Mighty One of Israel is purifying His own to bring about complete restoration, complete redemption in the end. My disappointments work to draw me to Him and they work to smelt away the dross. And, in the end HE will succeed in redeeming me, along with all of His children.
And, He throws in some great instruction in between, too:
"Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean;
Remove the evil of your deeds from My sight.
Cease to do evil,
Learn to do good;
Seek justice,
Reprove the ruthless,
Defend the orphan,
Plead for the widow."
(Isaiah 1:16-17)
But it doesn't stop there...
"Though your sins were as scarlet,
They will be white as snow;
Though they are red like crimson,
They will be like wool.
If you consent and obey,
You will eat the best of the land;
But if you refuse and rebel,
You will be devoured by the sword.
Truly, the mouth of the Lord has spoken."
(Isaiah 1:18b-20)
I love that...'truly the mouth of the Lord has spoken.' There are just two choices: consent and obey your loving Heavenly Father who wants nothing but good for you and have life, or refuse and rebel and be devoured by the sword. There's no other option. There's nothing in between.
While I struggle with my disappointments, I know God is using it to refine me, to draw me to Himself and my work is to choose to consent and obey Him. And, in the end, He will win.
Isn't scripture amazing? It puts just the right perspective on things. What incredible comfort.
2 comments:
I agree... God's word is SO encouraging... and challenging and convicting all at the same time. And it IS wonderful when you have those moments where God speaks to you so clearly in so many different ways. Glad to hear that that's happening for you in the midst of your disappointments.
Hey Jill, I loved reading your blog today because I too am studying Isaiah with BSF! It has been so amazing the way scripture is SO timely in ones life. Thanks for writing.
Post a Comment