We came well prepared and were able to pass up the vending machine full of articles needed for ice skating. (Gloves, stocking hats, hand warmers, Kleenex and I cannot remember what else was in there.)
(They have these at the swimming pool too. There are goggles, speedos in various sizes, and swim caps in those. I always thought vending machines were just for food or beverages. Not here!)
Here are the ice skaters, still bruise-less, all ready to go, and full of smiles!
I was official photographer. I never learned the art of ice skating and figured Mark would already have three beginners to manage. The last thing he needed was his wife hanging on his arm for dear life!
Besides, I have a lot farther to fall than my kids. :-)
Let me show you how the simple act of learning to ice skate reveals what our children are like. I'll start with Lena.
Lena is our careful, cautious (she really didn't want to fall at all), and highly determined young lady.
She did FABULOUS ice skating! I imagine her roller-blading during the summer has helped her a great deal. By the end of the day, she was gliding with confidence around the big circle with her Dad.
Way to go Lena!!!
Then, there's Ryan.
He reminded me of my brother learning to downhill ski. It was full-force, every muscle in your body, complete abandon ice skating! He was on the verge of a major wipe-out the entire day, but managed to stay on his feet the majority of the time! How he did it, I have not idea.
(Here he is shoving Todd in a little chair thing.)
He went out to the big circle with Mark and pretty much 'ran' and 'pulled' Mark around the circle!
This child is a hockey skater for sure! I love his spirit and he did a FABULOUS job ice skating too!!!!
Last, we have Todd. This picture says it all.
Absolutely fearless.
This was the first time on ice skates for Todd, but he was DETERMINED to not only stay up, but walk, run, go fast and especially do TRICKS on the ice! (He kept trying to jump to make a 'triple salchow'. Yep, this boy has big visions!)
But, it was amazing what he was able to accomplish in just a few short hours. I wonder if he is just extraordinarily talented, or if the ice skates were a help.
If you look closely, his ice skates had double blades. You can also see how wet his pants were from falling again and again! Oh boy!
But, either way, Todd did a FABULOUS job ice skating. He did admit afterward that his legs were super sore and his elbow hurt, but that certainly hasn't deterred Todd. He's begging to go again.
I cannot end this post without saying a HUGE thank you to so many of you for sending us your Christmas cards and photos! Whether by e-mail or snail mail, we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE getting your notes! Thank you so very much!
And, we want to wish you and your families a very, very HAPPY NEW YEAR!
No comments:
Post a Comment