Friday, April 15, 2011

Random Photos and such...

Here are some recent random 'slices of life' in the form of photos.

The tree blossoms, daffodils and tulips have been incredible! Here's Todd posing by the flowers in front of the kids' school.


A couple weekends ago, the kids' school had an open house of sorts. Each class (except for the 5th graders who had just returned from their ski class) prepared something for this event - something related to art. They had primitive art, modern art, geometric art, and all sorts of other really interesting exhibits of various sorts. It was really pretty neat.

Everything was displayed in the courtyard of the school. This is where our children spend their recess time.


In the preschool side (for kids ages 3-5), they had more hands-on things. They even had a bucket full of live snails! Very fascinating!

I just thought it would be fun to show where our kids have recess each day. The preschool side has play equipment. The elementary side has none. But, they manage to keep themselves very busy in this courtyard even without it. Oh, and the blue building in the background is where Ryan plays basketball. It's very, very handy indeed!


This was Ryan's class's exhibit. His teacher is the woman facing the camera with the scarf on.


And, here's the school garden. The school kids take care of the garden and learn gardening in the process. Lena's teacher tells us 'this is so very French.' Lena has really enjoyed Friday mornings before school working in this garden.


A few weeks ago I got a new coat. Mark and I happened to be near this wall that is covered with graffiti. I don't know why I like this wall, but I do. I asked Mark to snap a photo of me with my new Parisian looking coat in front of the graffiti wall.


Just today, we went shopping at La Defense in the big mall. We happened to be walking by that same wall, and Lena decided to take a photo of me. She took the photo and said, "Mom, you look very Parisian." Wow! What a nice surprise! I decided to post this photo because I thought my parents would enjoy seeing it. :-)



Here's something I just love about life here. We walk and we hold hands a lot. I like that.


Perhaps Lena likes it too, because she took this photo of Mark and Ryan doing the same thing again today. I just love it!


And, Lena snapped a photo of her music conservatory.


She's studying music theory here this year. She goes to class 1 hour per week and choir 45 minutes per week. She has to learn theory (book learning ONLY) for 1 year before she is allowed to start playing an instrument. But, she had already taken piano lessons in the USA, so she's already playing an instrument. Next year she is hoping to take violin lessons here.

And we'll start Ryan in the conservatory next year. He'll have to do the same year of theory study so that he can take lessons on an instrument eventually as well. I can say we're not in love with their system, but the instruction is so good that it's worth doing it.

Here's another photo Lena took. She came to my knitting group with me a couple weeks ago and entertained herself by making this enormous pompom. I like how she's decorated her puppy Roscoe with it!


Here's our new and improved bedroom. I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to have cheery yellow walls instead of tired old, extremely dirty mauve walls with lots of holes from the previous renter. Ahhhh.... We're so thankful for the Christmas gift that made buying the paint possible!


Switching gears again now...I love this photo of Mark. Our team will be giving a benefit concert and inviting everybody in the world that we know...and perhaps people we don't know as well. Mark will be the featured artist. I took him out to our local park to take photos to use on the invitation. I just think this photo is cool looking.


I cannot forget to mention the big event from last week, too. Todd learned how to ride a 2 wheeled bike without training wheels! Yeah Todd!


Oh, and here's what colored eggs look like in France. Eggs are not white here, they are brown. So, when you color eggs they turn out totally different! Kinda fun.


So, there you have it. Little random 'slices of life.' Happy Easter!

1 comment:

Elizabeth Bradley said...

What a super fun post! I really enjoy posts like these... both writing them and reading other people's. :)

So much to comment on here...
1. Paris looks like Prague with all the trees and flowers blooming. It's so, so beautiful, isn't it?
2. So, so fun and interesting that your kids garden at school!
3. I've been on the lookout for a new "spring coat" for weeks now, but can't find one that meets my desires and my budget. Yours is cute!
4. We dyed eggs over the weekend and ours like similar because we only have brown eggs in Prague too. :)

Happy Easter to the Pedersons!