Tuesday, January 31, 2012

An Interesting January

This will go down in the annals as one of the most interesting Januaries in Pederson history, I do believe.

One day we were going to continue on in the same type of work in France with a different agency, the next we were going to work a corporate job in Paris, the next we were headed back to the USA. Around and around we went with the opportunities before us, searching for the Lord's path for our lives. After many twists and turns, the answer finally became clear the 3rd week of January -- it's back to the USA for us. Phew! What a relief to finally know one big clue about our future!

It's interesting to process the idea of moving back to the USA. I've really learned what makes a place home. It's people. France has become home to us because of the people we love here. It's super hard to say good-bye to them.

But, it's super exciting to go back to the USA, because it's also home. Why? Because of the people we love there.

(Oh, and also because we're citizens and we don't have to visit the immigration office every year there! YEAH!!!!)

When we told the kids that we were moving back to the USA, the first comment was, "You mean, we get to have Christmas with family next year!!!?!!!?!!!?!!!!" Oh, yeah! We are super excited about that.

And, the family wedding that we get to attend.

And, the people at church we get to see.

And, the friends from our kids' old school that we get to see.

It's the people that make a place home.

We're ready to come home. Yet, we will always miss France.

How do you like that? Our lives will always be divided...at least until we get to Heaven.

But, January also had some other interesting events.

Like MOLD. ickkkkkk!!!!!!

We suspected the caulk in our bathroom was failing, so Mark decided to tear it out and replace it.


Within seconds, we could tell there was mold under the tub. Yuck!


We had lovely black mold, and also - can you see that brown-ish patch just behind the blue tubing? That's MOLD! Horrible stuff, I tell you.

I went into attack mode.

On a Sunday, I sent Mark and the kids off to church, and I got my trusty mop and bleach.


And I donned my pink rubber gloves.


I prepared my face.


I made an attempt to get my mop behind those crazy pipes, and disturbed the mold just a little bit. It caused a coughing fit like you wouldn't believe. This mold was serious! I was not going to mess around. I taped a bandana to my face and around my neck. I was ready to attack!

But, I had a problem. How do I get back behind those pipes, which wouldn't bend or budge one bit?

Problem solved with a yard stick, some bubble wrap, a wash cloth and some string. I'm feeling very McGyverish now!


But, it worked. I got it all. Or, at least the worst part of it.

When I finished, I opened the apartment and buried myself in a long wool sweater and three blankets. I sat down to watch some Mac Brunson sermons. It was freezing!!!! But, I aired out the apartment for a good hour.

GOOD-BYE MOLD!!!!

Now, here's something much more pleasant.

I've been wanting to write about these wonderful little things that they put by a cup of coffee in restaurants here. Look.


If you happen to be in Paris, and you order a cup of coffee and it comes like this (see photo), you need to understand something. If someone asks you for the little 'treat' that comes with the coffee, you need to say 'NO'!!!

It might be a piece of chocolate, in which case you want to eat it.

It might be a little cookie - usually a Speculos cookie, in which case you want to eat it. (They are AWESOME!)

Or, it might be one of these: the incredible Café Richard roasted almond enrobed in chocolate, in which case you REALLY WANT TO EAT IT!!!!!! They are positively DIVINE!!!


I still marvel that my husband gives me his treat (whatever it is), when he orders coffee in restaurants here. I tell you, he's a keeper - that's for sure!

Oh, and Mark tells me the family 'Richard' who makes these divine almonds is the wealthiest family in France.

I am NOT surprised!

Another interesting event in January happened last weekend. However, I wasn't there, so I didn't get to take photos of this event. (Although, I did get a photo of the girls later in the evening. Lena has her chin on her friend Clemence's shoulder in this photo.)


Lena's friend Clemence invited Lena and two other friends to go to the Pompei exhibit at a museum in town. The group met at the metro station at 10 a.m. They went to the museum, and then Clemence's parents took the girls out for lunch.

Guess where they went for lunch.

I would love to hear your guesses!

Did you guess to a restaurant known for their mussels? It was Clemence's pick.

Oh, and Lena had the good fortune to sit across the table from Clemence who was very happily eating from her bucket of mussels. (Here's a photo I found on the internet to give you an idea of what this looks like.)


Lena was a hoot explaining Clemence's technique. She said Clemence was pulling hairs out of the mussels and hanging them on the side of the bucket. Eating and slopping her lips, slurping juices, and offering some to Lena who had ordered salmon instead.

In case you haven't guessed, Lena has never eaten mussels before. I know, I'm a bad Mom. I haven't served much seafood in my home. Actually, I've never eaten a mussel myself!

Anyway, Clemence gave Lena some advice. She said, "You really just have to turn your mind off to eat French food. That's the secret."

Ha! Isn't that the truth! We all got a real kick out of her advice.

I have a feeling we'll be quoting Clemence for years to come. :-)

There's one more thing I have to share in this post. We went to a museum down on the Seine river near the Eiffel Tower to see the Wyeth Exhibit.

It was Andrew Wyeth's work along with his father's work, N.C. Wyeth, and his son, Jamie Wyeth. It was very fun to see three generations of painters in an exhibit together.

Here's the museum. It used to be someone's house.


A better look at the house.


There were signs posted that said not to take photos. But, I'm a real rebel when it comes to my camera. I just couldn't help taking a photo in the Andrew Wyeth room. I just had to show you a glimpse of what I saw, Mom!!! Isn't this great!?!



I was good, and I didn't use a flash. If I could have photographed each painting, I would have. But, you can see a glimpse of some of the paintings.

It was so interesting to read about these men. The father was an illustrator (he painted paintings for the book Robinhood, for instance) and he was never considered a true artist by the artist world. It was sad to read that and then to look at the absolutely amazing paintings he had painted. What in the world makes one super talented person 'arrive' and another never actually 'arrive.' It's silliness!

Anyway, it was really evident how influenced Andrew was by his father's artwork. However, his dad died a sudden and tragic death when he was hit by a train while crossing the railroad tracks in his car. The death of Andrew's dad totally changed his painting style. Fascinating. Sad.

Then, Andrew's son, Jamie has obviously been influenced by his dad and his grandfather's artwork, yet he has created his own unique style while incorporating those influences. Just fascinating!

Here's a photo of the three men.


As is often the case here, the museum buildings are as interesting as the artwork hanging in them. How do you like this room? They had a TV set up and a video playing which showed Jamie Wyeth painting.


I cannot help but wonder what a room like this looked like when it was someone's house 'back in the day'.

Here's the view into the private garden.


Or, perhaps you'd like the view out the front windows.


Do you have any idea what the value is for a view like this? If you can see the Eiffel tower from an apartment, the price sky-rockets! What a view!

Or, how do you like this staircase.



The old buildings of Paris really do have class.

As we walked away from the museum, this is what we saw.


Do you see anything special? It looks just like any other street in Paris, right? Well, in those windows on the right is this:


A corvet! Yes, folks. Here you have the prestigious Cadillac and Chevrolet car dealership of Paris!


Yep, in this lovely office...


...complete with cheap, mish-mash furniture, filthy phones, and an old gas pump, you could drop thousands and thousands of euros to own a shiny new Cadillac. Oh, and, you have literally one car to choose from. However, I'm betting they'd probably order and ship one for a little extra.

Isn't that funny! We got a good laugh out of it.

Oh, I forgot one more interesting event in January. Who knew! Our neighbor is a photographer. She invited us to the opening night at her exhibit in town. It was fun to go and support her. She's the one in the back of the room on the right side. She's wearing a purple scarf and has her feet crossed.


Her photos are on the left wall. Way to go Muriel!!!

And, now, I say 'adieu to you, January!' I wonder...what in the world will February hold? On verra! (We will see!)

No comments: