Living in Paris is like stepping back in time in many ways. I'm learning what life used to be like in the USA before supermarkets, department stores, and mega stores (such as Walmart and Target) came into existence. In the suburbs of Paris, those sorts of stores exist, but here in Paris, they are pretty hard to find.
If you need some special item, you have to figure out where to find such an item in Paris.
For instance, if you want a music book for your daughter who is taking music lessons, you have to go to Northern Paris near the St. Lazare metro stop. (And, it never fails that we're told about this need the night before she needs to carry this book to class with her!) It takes 45 minutes for us to get there just to buy one book, but that's the place where we HAVE to buy it. Because that's where all the music stores are located. Period.
If you want fabric, every Parisien knows that you go to Montmartre, which is in the Northeast part of Paris. You can find fabric here and there in the small shops owned by Arabs or Asians, but if you really want to find a large selection and choose a fabric from many, you go to Montmartre. Period.
Much of our 'fun' in living here has been learning where you go to get things. Believe me when I say, it is not always obvious to us, the foreigners! We often find ourselves saying, "Oh, so that's where you to buy this!"
So, I went shopping for FABRIC last week. Yeah! What joy! In order to choose from a large selection, I went to Montmartre. Here are a few photos of the fabric-laden streets of Montmartre.
After weaving in to store after store on 4 different streets for about 2 hours, I found a fabric that would work. But, I didn't mind spending the time searching. Not at all.
The most amazing thing is how so many of the shop owners are standing out on the street (most of the time they are partially blocking the doorway!), and they are smoking! Ha! One match in one of these stores, and it would be a complete and total disaster! Crazy!
Now, changing the subject...
Here's another fun thing about French people. If you drop something like a glove, they will pick it up, and place it on a fence or wall where it can be easily seen. You see things displayed like this all the time. Here, let me show you what I mean. I saw a glove displayed like this in the grocery store today.
Oh, and that blue and yellow 'box' is a machine for buying postage. That's why I was in the grocery store today. I was putting postage on the letters before sending them in the mail.
But, here's a new one for me. I saw this on my way to the grocery store.
Do you see the two circles in the photo? Some sweet little girl dropped her pink hair bands, and someone picked them up and put them in the bush! I had to laugh. I hope she comes back to get them. I'm sure she'll smile when she sees them there.
Here's another funny thing we saw in the metro just the other day.
I know it's hard to see, but can you see the sticker that is on the white wall just to the right of Todd? It's fixed under the advertisement that is blue in color. Here's a close-up of the sticker.
It's a sticker with the original Mr. T -- in a metro train car in Paris. Too funny!
Here's another amazing thing I saw today.
The first flowers of Spring! Yeah!!!
The first buds of Spring!
Not so yeah for the buds, though! I have been feeling like I might be getting a cold for a week or so. Now I know why. My lovely springtime allergies have started. Oh well. At least they look pretty, right.
And, they've trimmed the trees in this gnarly shape again in preparation for the new growth of spring.
I always think there has to be something wrong with this, but in a matter of weeks, these trees will look normal again.
I have to admit after a rainy and gray winter it is wonderful to see the sun again and feel the warmth of Spring closing in on us. We welcome blue skies, flowers and bright sun! Yes, Spring is on the way!
1 comment:
It's always so fun to see the differences between Paris and Prague! There are some similarities in knowing where to go to get things, but not at all as specific as it is for you guys... and we have department stores / Tesco even in the city center.
It's interesting to me that Parisians are so considerate of each other in picking up things like gloves and such... I never ever would have expected that!
Hooray for Spring in Paris! We're feeling the same excitement thanks to the bright sun and blue skies, though our temperatures still hover at or below freezing. Hope you guys have fun exploring your city in a new season!
Post a Comment