Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Let the counting begin!

It's just 34 days until I rest my feet on the soil of my home country that is full of people I love, a way of life and language I understand (without someone having to explain things to me), and where I enjoy all the rights and privileges of citizenship.

The count-down has begun!

I won't deny it.

I cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yet, I must say that springtime in Paris is amazing. I'm so thankful that we are nearing the end of allergy season as just about everything has bloomed here. It's really quite lovely.

I've written before about our (Mark and I's) Friday date lunches. We got a GREAT tip from a friend at church that there is an authentic Mexican restaurant in Paris.

Mexican is really hard to find in Paris, and actually in most of Europe, we're told. And, Mexican that seems anything like the Mexican food that is readily available anywhere in the USA (whether Americanized or the authentic stuff), is practically non-existent here.

So, when we heard there was a place that was really Mexican, it didn't take us but one week to find our way to this restaurant. Here's a photo:


Look closely. It's small. (See Mark sitting at the table?)

We waited outside the door for them to open with a lady who is originally from New York City. She sat at the bar. We chose the table. You sit with strangers.

About 5 minutes after I took this photo, every stool in the place was filled.

After another 5 or 10 minutes, there was a small crowd on the street waiting for first-available seats.

The menu is on a chalkboard on the wall.

They have no silverware.

(The gravity of this statement may not hit you unless you have spent some significant time in France before. Trust me. They don't do finger food here.)

I just feel the need to say that again - they have NO silverware there! I love it!!!!

We ate a fabulous lunch chatting between ourselves and also with our neighbors. Most everybody was foreign. Most everybody spoke English.

We left the restaurant with fire in our mouths!

We haven't felt that feel or tasted that taste within our mouths for almost 2 years.

Wow! How amazing!

You can bet we will be back!!!

Then, just the other day, I was walking back home from BSF and I passed this.


I don't know who the dignitary was who got this amazing reception, but it was fun to watch!

This is the type of reception that Dominique Strauss-Kahn is accustomed to receiving in Europe. Have you heard the story? Is it a headline in the USA too? It's really fascinating to watch this story unfold here in France.

It's being called a tsunami. This man was the strongest contender for the next Presidential election in France which will take place in May of 2012. He went from being a man who is as important/powerful as the President of France (not to mention his riches), to a man who is in a tiny concrete jail cell in the center of New York City because he is accused of attacking and raping a housekeeping woman in a New York City hotel.

It is just incredible news for the people here. The people are beyond shocked. The gravity of the situation for this man is hard to comprehend. This event has put everything related to the Presidential Election in question.

We've learned that it is illegal to show photos of a person in hand-cuffs in any media of any kind until they have been convicted of a crime. It's rather unnerving to the people here that these images of Dominique Strass-Kahn in hand-cuffs are all over the TV and internet. Something so normal to us, is unthinkable to them.

And, finally, here's Lena by the Seine River on the same walk last week.


Great memories, for sure.

I'll close with à bientôt! (See you soon!)

No comments: