Sunday, May 1, 2011

Speaking French

I think I'm crazy to do this, but I made a video of myself speaking French. If you watch it, you'll learn why I did this.

When you watch, please be gracious and keep these things in mind...

1. I spent all of my life AVOIDING having to learn a foreign language. I didn't take foreign languages of any kind in high school or college. Life's kinda funny how it 'catches up to you.'

2. I truly believe I have no natural talent for languages. It's been all gut-wrenching hard work here. I feel like I fight for every word.

3. I have a mouth that was made to speak English only. (I know I have a big accent!)

4. I started learning French when I was 2 months shy of turning FOURTY years old and...

5. After giving birth to THREE babies. (We all know you lose brain cells with each birth!)

Yet, I speak slowly, but I speak. It's all because of the grace of God! So, if you dare....you can click on the link below to watch me speaking French.

Jill Speaking French

Now, I just hope I don't forget everything I've learned during our visit back to the USA! Either way, I'm going to THOROUGHLY enjoy understanding everything and everybody while speaking English all day every day!!!! Yippeee!!!

3 comments:

Dana said...

LOVE it! You are so brave to do this. I really think you sound great, but I know how difficult it can be to put yourself out there on display while speaking French. We already have supporters requesting that and I want to go run and hide! Maybe in a couple more years...

Praise the Lord!!

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Jill, This was amazing! It was so fun to hear you speaking French. :) I'm quite impressed that you talk on the phone in French and to the doctor. I've only been to the doctor once in 2.5 years, but went to an English speaking one! Talking on the phone is still a daunting, overwhelming task for me. And the fact that you can understand hours of French. Wow! I'm impressed. Learning all the vocab there is to learn is certainly difficult, isn't it? It seems at times like it's never ending, huh? You should be proud of yourself for all you've accomplished in 2 years! :)

Anonymous said...

Good job Jill! Keep up the good work!