It just occurred to me that my hairspray has lasted an awfully long time. I remember taking it out of a bucket under my bed in France (where I kept my special stash of American products) about a week before we moved back to America.
That's a long time ago!
Do you ever think about the lady in the Bible who's jars of oil never ran dry?
Did she notice it right away?
Did it take her a few days to notice?
I could imagine myself re-checking other jars thinking, "Maybe some oil settled in the bottom that I missed. I'll recheck each one."
Certainly eventually she knew that she was living a miracle, but how and when did she know it?
There's another time in the Bible where it says the Lord kept the shoes of the Israelites from wearing out - for 40 years! How do you like that?!?
I have found myself looking at my hairspray can pondering these types of thoughts several times in the last week.
We lived in Paris, France for two and a half years.
Paris is very expensive and exchange rates were horrible for many of the months we were there.
Somehow, even though the amount of our 'take-home pay' in US dollars didn't fluctuate that much from month to month, the amount that we actually had to spend in Euros did fluctuate a lot.
Yet, we always had what we needed.
How could that be?
Was God filling my jars with oil, and I never noticed it?
Is my hairspray lasting an insanely long amount of time because God is making that happen? Or, am I just out of touch with how long a can of hairspray lasts?
I cannot prove it, but I find myself believing that God has been working miracles around us all the time, and we just didn't know it.
How else could we have survived so well in France?
How else could we have the things that we have right now; in the midst of crazy transition when we should be scraping by, we are not.
Lest you think I am wacky, I am not calling every little thing in my life a miracle. That would be overdoing it. But, I do find myself thanking God for more things with these thoughts running through my head.
"Lord, thanks for making this hairspray last so very long. I sure is a blessing."
Is that goofy? I don't know. But, I do know that God is my provider - in all things. His economy is so very different from the one we know on this earth, and He is capable of supplying in ways that I cannot even understand. That's the great God that we get to know and love and serve! Yeah!
4 comments:
Amen!! Thanks for sharing, Jill! So encouraging! :-)
Julie
Hi Jill -
I don't know if you remember me at all, but I used to work with Mark way back when at Hewitt in IL... anyway, I dropped by your site to see if you were still in France, as Tony and I are taking a trip there at the end of June, but unfortunately you aren't there anymore so we can't say hello to some friendly faces there...
However, I was wondering if you (or Mark - though from what I read he's super busy right now - though in a good way!) might give us any tips? We've never been to Paris, we'll be there about a week, and it would be great to get any insider tips from people we know... especially if you've lived there!
Wishing you all the best as you transition out of school and out to Indiana - please say hello to Mark and pass on my best to him too - I'm happy to correspond with him if you want to give him my email address - I guess he closed his fb account, so I can't reach him there anymore, so I hope you don't mind my posting here!
Take care, and I love your posts - God is wonderful, isn't he?
Jana (Skrien) Koppula
j
Urgh. You or Mark can reach me at: jjsk02@yahoo
Thanks and God bless!
Jana
Jill, I don't think you're wacky or that it's goofy. If keepting your hairspray full helped you to concentrate on people and not hardships then he does that! I've seen the same thing in our lives. What a priviledge it is to RECOGNIZE what God does on an everyday level...HE let you RECOGNIZE that your hairspray supply was lasting longer than expected! Have you read the book One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp? Such a blessing to me over the last year and 1/2. http://onethousandgifts.com/ You might like it!
Post a Comment