I have to admit, I am wondering if I am really American. I know I am. I know I'll feel like it again one day. But, for today, I feel like an alien in this place.
Driving again is so strange.
Getting gas again is so strange.
I went grocery shopping for the first time since we've been home today. There were surprises EVERYWHERE!
Huge carts.
I love having a TRUNK for my groceries!
I felt naked walking out the door without a rolling cart, bags or some kind of cady. This is too simple!!!
How big does a grocery store have to be? Wow! The stores are just enormous here.
But, I just love, love, love that they have pre-minced garlic in a jar here! Yeah!
But, where do they hide the real yogurt? Everything is zero percent fat or nonfat or lowfat. Does anyone eat just yogurt?
Oh...it's so wonderful to have all of those beef options! I just stood there and stared. Wow!
And, can you believe they had 8 different brands of bacon? EIGHT!!!!! I only find one, if I am lucky at the store where we shop in France.
Oh, and the HAM! It's possible to buy a ham and not just 4 thin slices in a package. I am so excited about fixing ham the American way again!
I totally forgot that the bakery is in the grocery store.
I totally forgot to get eggs from the refrigerator. I totally forgot they are WHITE here. Bizarre.
But, I did remember that the milk is in the fridge. Oh, I am sooooo, soooo happy about that!!!!! FRESH MILK from HUGE jugs!!!!
Why do we have so many salad dressings to choose from? Really, this is necessary? Don't you know you can save hoards of space in your refrigerator by making your own? I guess I am glad France taught me that.
How wonderful that everyone is so very nice. I feel like inventing questions just to remember I am in American and I can ask any old question I want and they will respond with enthusiasm and want to help me! YES!!!
Ah, but the check-out lanes. Sad. I hate the tabloids. I forgot about the stupid tabloid magazines you cannot avoid at the check-out lanes.
I also forgot how ENORMOUS the conveyer belts are! Wow! And, they are on BOTH sides of the cash register. Oh...can I just say...heavenly!!! So much less stress this way.
As I walked out, a nice lady smiled at me and said, "Thank you and have a nice day."
I wanted to walk up to her and kiss her cheeks (French style), but I refrained.
What an experience. If it hadn't cost so much to buy all those fabulous groceries, I can guarantee you that I'd go back tomorrow. It will just have to wait until next week. :-)
2 comments:
Welcome home Jill. It's great to read your blog, thank you for letting us see into your heart a little bit. Thank you for serving for us in France. Praying that God will continue to go before you as your family transitions back to life here.
This post made me smile the first time I read it and again just now. Each time we're in the States I have similar thoughts. Eggs are white?? Oh yeah, I forgot this. And the yogurt... I searched high and low for "real" yogurt in America in December and never did find it. Anytime anyone asks what I will miss one day about life here in Prague, my first (food-related)answer is always the YOGURT! ;)
Post a Comment