Sunday, March 25, 2012

Transition Spamition - BLUCK!

We're in the throws of transition.

Some are easy - like being able to be with our extended family! Seeing churches everywhere. Big stores like Target that have everything you could ever need under one roof. These are easy transitions.

Some are not so easy.

I am watching my children and wishing that I could save them from transition, but I cannot. It's just something we all must go through.

In school alone, our kids are working hard to try to put on their American skin. But, they have been schooled in the French system for so long, that it's really not that simple to do.

They write their letters the French way.

They write their numbers the French way.

They keep a trouse (a pencil pouch), which American kids don't do.

They are trained to write only in pen ALL the time, and they would never think of using the wrong color pen for something.

They ALL (even Todd) write tiny, perfect cursive (about 3 mm high). Poor Todd is trying really hard to write big letters on the 1st grade paper, and on top of that, they want him to print. He's re-learning how to write again.

They have been writing on notebook paper that has a line every millimeter, all the way down the page. Now they need to learn how to write in a big open space.

They do math the French way.

They write essays the French way.

They are experts at distance and quantities in the metric system. The American way of measuring things is so very foreign to them.

They have studied an incredible amount of history...but it's not the same history they would have learned here in America.

They have memorized an incredible number of poems and excerpts from books.

They have taken a dictation nearly every week of school, but I'm not sure American children even know what that is.

They're recesses have been playing marbles, soccer, and French games in the school's paved courtyard.

They've been enjoying a leisurely 1.5 hour break at home each day for their lunch hour.

Lena's been walking herself to school each day, carrying a cell phone.

They were encouraged to memorize the thoughts of others, but they haven't been encouraged to have their own creative ideas. Here, they are encouraged to dream, to search their minds for new ideas, to express themselves. They don't know how to do that!

One thing they can do, and that is speak, read and write French well. We're so thankful for the French Immersion elementary school where their teachers know the massive change they are making (for the most part).

Oh, how I pray that these children can adapt, and adapt quickly. I wish I could hold their hand through it all, but I cannot. I can only pray that the Lord will give them strength and patience to see it through. I know that He will.

I prayed often while the kids adjusted to France that each of my children would learn to lean on the Lord in a very personal way. I find myself praying the same prayer for them now. These are character building times. I pray they will develop the habit of running to the Lord, for surely, it would all have been worth it if they could learn these lessons at such young ages.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Transition is rarely easy. Yet the way you've captured the ins and outs of your children's experience here is fascinating to read. I'm glad that you have a place where you can process these thoughts. Know that we will continue to pray for your family's transition!

hbs said...

My mother heart connects to yours, Jill-- be strong in the Lord, and in His mighty power! I'll be praying for those sweet kids of yours.